Hello! My name is Kristina. Chances are you have received an email from me recently, but if not, let me introduce myself! I am a lover of the theatre, to-do lists and getting creative in the kitchen. When I am not engrossed
2017 will be my fifth time taking the Challenge and I like to think I have learnt a few things along the way that might be useful to you. The first being; embrace the magic of flour! I bought flour my second year taking the Challenge and have never looked back! Flour is a very flexible ingredient that is not only cheap (especially if you split a bag with some friends) but you can make so much with it.Think pasta, gnocchi, flatbread and, my personal favourite, pancakes! To celebrate Pancake Day I wanted to share my favourite LBL treat.
- 1 free range egg
- 40g plain
- ¼ a cup of water (or milk if you have budgeted for it!)
- First separate the egg, putting the white into one bowl and the yolk into another.
- Add the flour to the yolk and gradually add the water until it forms a smooth, thick batter. You might not need all the water, so only add as much as you need for the right consistency.
- Whisk the egg whites until you form firm peaks (if you have budgeted for salt I recommend adding a pinch of salt!). Once the
firmspeaks are formed, gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Heada non-stick pan on medium heat and pour in your mixture. Wait until small bubbles form on the top of the pancake and the base is golden and firm before flipping over.
- Now all that’s left is to add your topping! Bananas are always a winner, and you can often get them discounted at the market. One year I purchased raspberry jam and heated it up to make a sort of raspberry sauce which was yummy.